Monday, March 31, 2008

Advice $0.05

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more


Have you ever heard Dr. Phil say "does it look like I have idiot written on my forehead?" Well today I started wondering if I had a neon sign on my forehead that says-- tell me your story random stranger-- oh and don't leave out any details.

That is after a little something happen again today for the 2nd time in a week--see over the last week I have been pulled aside twice by 2 separate people (both of whom I consider acquaintances) and they have told me stories about their love lives and believe me when I say they told me a couple of things that I couldn't (and maybe wouldn't) tell my best friend--especially without turning RED.... and I think-- what made them tell me that-- what on me says -- go ahead tell me everything.

And this is not the first or second time this has happened to me, it seems to happen a lot, it just seems to be standing out a little more lately. Once my hairdresser said to me-- why do I feel like I need to tell you everything? Don't get me wrong she is far from a stranger and someone I really like-- so for her to tell me stories is completely natural, but the irony behind that is she --in her role--- is normally the one doing the listening....

So I say this not to complain-- really--- I find people intriguing. I must say though, when they go too far--it is like one of those bad narrators in my head, (like Fred Savage on the Wonder Years) saying-- no no no don't saaaay iiitt- aw man (s)he said it..then I just give that polite smile and try not to turn red, and quickly change the subject.

So maybe one day I will crack the code-- I will figure out what makes the random stranger decide to tell me so much and maybe I will find the perfect words and/or body language that say----okay nice to chat but really---gotta go........and if I can't figure that out ----at least maybe I can figure out how to get paid for my time-- HA HA HA

3 comments:

mindy said...

i hear ya...boy do i hear ya...

mindy said...

Wait a minute. I just read your title again- if you are only charging $.05 for advice no wonder you get the crazies. Try upping those rates...and hanging out in classier joints. ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, let's see.....you're personable, your smile is engaging and you're highly empathetic. Add to that, you're a good listener, you genuinely care about the people you are talking to, and you can be trusted to keep a secret.

Perhaps that's why? :-)