Saturday, October 27, 2007

Good ol' home cooking

What is it about fall weather that gets you in the mood for warm comfort foods? I have wanted something with gravy all week, I finally treated myself today.

Not only was it a comfort food-- I made one of my mom's specialties -- and one of my favorites from growing up--she cooked it for me every time I came home from college (yes a little spoiled). So what was on my menu tonight? A roast with gravy. I use to think that mom slaved over the stove for hours to make this wonderful meal, I now find that with a crock pot and a couple of ingredients it is easy easy-- it is the sides that had me slaving.


So I know I have everyone on the edge of their seats for the recipe huh--well it is a family secret --not really-- Just put a sirloin tip roast in your crock pot, and cover it with french onion soup, and beef consume. Normally I use about two cans of each and then top it off with water until the roast is completely covered. Once covered I leave it in the crock pot all day-- I had it on 8 hours low today and it came out just fine. The only problem is for about the last hour or so you get really hungry if you are home, because it makes your whole house smell really yummy.

You can get as fancy as you want with sides, but I think you have to have mashed potatoes--- that is a must--and real ones not spuds-- tonight I made mashed potatoes, gravy, squash, corn on the cob and biscuits-- and that is probably the most I will cook for the next month :).

So if anyone else is like me and is in the mood for a little warm comfort food, try this Murchison Family treat-- it is sure to make your belly say umm umm good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That does sound good. The only thing I am picky about is.... LOL. Just joking! :)
-M