Monday, August 4, 2008

Clues, Triangles, & Babies in the Belly

Today I had well visits for the kids and was very interested in learning about their development. Because I get regular learning reports on Payten from school, I am comfortable with where she is developmentally and I found out she is growing well in height and weight-- all on track, so I was happy to hear that.

As for Carter, I feel like he is developing well too and is a smart little thing, I just don't know comparatively (I mean to other 3 year olds)-- don't get me wrong-- I don't need him to be the smartest of the bunch or cutest, or great at everything he does--I just want that feeling of knowing that he is on track--

And I can't lie, I like to show him off a little-- I want the Dr. and family and people I don't see a lot to see how smart (at least I think) he is-- especially like in our situation with Dr. Jamie, we have a long history with him-- he was Joe's Dr. when he was a teenager, and the Dr for Joe's brother and sister-- so with that said here is how the visit went:

Carter has been watching Blues Clues lately and for those of you not familiar with the show-- during the show they look for PAW PRINTS that are "BLUE'S CLUES" and when they see the paw prints on the show they yell out -- "A CLUE, A CLUE" --so lately when Carter sees handprints (on anything) he says "A CLUE, A CLUE" and today while sitting in the lobby he noticed a Paw print on a Clemson shirt in the Drs off and said-- "Dat Boy has a CLUE on his shirt" I first thought he said glue--but then I saw the paw print and thought-- That is pretty smart--

Next we went into the exam room and after the nurse did all of her checking she gave me the development sheet that gives a few bullet points on where he should be-- Under the learning portion it said at this stage they should be recognizing circles and even drawing them --well low and behold, after she left and before the Dr. came in we found a Sesame Street book on recognizing shapes-- and curiosity got the best of me so I tested him--and guess what not only did he recognize the circles on the first page, he even recognized the "ITRANGLES" on the second page-- okay so he was close-- but either way-- I was so proud- and ready for his time to shine with Dr. Jamie

So we were ready-- ready for Dr Jamie's big visit and we were ready to show how smart we were-- and this was the conversation:

Carter: "I have a baby in my tummy"
Carter: "It orange baby"
Mommy: "I thought it was green"
Carter: "No it not green no more, it orange"
Dr. Jamie: "Does the baby glow in the dark"
Carter: "No"
Dr. Jamie: "That is cool, you have a baby in your tummy that changes colors"
Carter: "uh-huh"

Oh well-- maybe next time-- still proud of the little fella--and good news he is still growing well in height and weight!!

3 comments:

mindy said...

Ok, I admit it. I must have zoned out when you were reading this or I would have questioned it then...where did the baby in the tummy talk come from???

Stacie said...

HA! I love it!!! Could you ask Carter how the baby changed from green baby to the orange baby...I'm very intrigued!

Ashley B said...

Carter started talking about the green baby in his belly when my friend Stacy was pregnant, and he would bring it up periodically, on this day the baby turned orange-- good stuff--