Thursday, January 10, 2008

I N S T R U C T I O N S F O R L I F E


My mom sent this to me and I liked what it said, and I wanted to share-- thanks mom for sharing the advice with me they all make really good sense. and I like when things make good sense....--(of course I couldn't do it without some of my own commentary)

Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
When you lose, don’t lose the lesson. (Call me Pollyana but this is my favorite)
Follow the three R’s:
v Respect for self,
v Respect for others and
v Responsibility for all your actions
.
Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck. (to quote the famous words of Garth Brooks-- "some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers")
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly. (ummm not sure about this one mom-- but okay--will do :) )
Don’t let a little dispute injure a great relationship. (this one hits home, right now--wonder if this is why mom sent it -- mom always knows best)
When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it

Spend some time alone every day. (yeah this is a struggle for me-- I like lots of people around always--and that cell phone makes it really easy even if it is virtual)
Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values. (very good one, I learned a lot about this during my 4 years at Appalachian)
Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer. (ummm-- okay maybe this is why mom sent-- I really struggle with this-- can you tell by my blogs??)
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time. (I will teach this to my kids-- very wise)
A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past. (yikes)
Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality. (if this is true--I will never die-- right Mindy? :)--)
Be gentle with the earth.
Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other (this is awesome-- I like this-- maybe that will help with my alone time issue :))
Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon. (definitely there on the cooking--- even use canned ham if needed)

1 comment:

mindy said...

Well Polly, those are pretty good...I especially liked the ones about travel and breaking the rules. :) But remind me to tell you why I have issues with that Garth Brooks song...