Friday, December 21, 2007

No pictures needed....

I had decided this year would be the year that I would teach Payten the joy of giving. We have always adopted a child or family, and this year was no different in that respect, but I always wonder if Payten really understands what is happening when the stuff is taken away to be given. This year I wanted her to see the joy of others when she gives, one of those life lessons that I want to stick with her.....

So I had this wonderful idea, I would dress the kids up and give out Candy Canes at the local Nursing home-- that idea was squashed by the Nursing Home's activities director-- I guess hard sweet candy is not good for everyone at that age and that is understandable.

So my friend, had the great idea of having the kids paint sun catchers to hand out (great thought Mindy). So that they did. For 2 weeks now the Horner kids, and the "Brownie" kids have been painting sun catchers. Today we stuffed bags and delivered them.

Payten was dressed in her Reindeer ears, and Maci in her Santa hat, and off we went to the nursing home. The girls went room to room and gave out; I am guessing over 50 sun catchers. It was a great experience, the joy in the residents' faces was just unforgettable.

One little lady said-- "This is a Happy-- and she kinda got stuck on Happy, when the nurse said-- "do you mean Merry Christmas?", she said "no, I am trying to say this is a Happy day, and everytime I look at this I will remember your sweet faces"

Tonight I asked Payten, "What do you remember most about today". She said "giving out sun catchers with Maci, and those people giving us hugs". I said "Did it feel good to make them happy" she said "yep".

So I was a bad mom and forgot my camera-- but when it is all said and done-- no pictures are needed, because I know the memories made today will be etched in the minds of Payten, Maci, Mindy and I forever.

Thank you Horners for helping us pull this off ---you are all awesome (even Grandmama and Papa, thanks for your help too ).

3 comments:

mindy said...

And that happy day comment still chokes me up. Thank you for including us. How did you not lose it when she said it was a happy day?? Bless their little hearts. Truly.

Ashley B said...

Truth is it really did get me-- but when I looked at you getting choked up I knew if I lost it we would be in trouble, so I just took a deep breath and kept my composure--as hard as that was

mindy said...

If you'd lost it too we would have just had to have Maude and Mabel slide on over and let us hang out awhile!