Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Fond Memory



Mindy's Oh My Blog reminded me of a blog that I keep wanting to write-- I may not do this memory justice but I will try....

In September we went to Sunset Beach without the little ones-- just half of our "families", Mindy, Brad, Joe and I. We stayed on the opposite side of the beach this time and Mindy and I decided (since we were without kids and were on the right side of the beach) to find this "Kindred Spirit Mailbox" that we had heard so much about.

So we walked, and walked, and walked, until we spotted this black mailbox up in the dunes. The mailbox was filled with notebooks. Each notebook was filled with letters, and notes, and pictures from many visitors who had visited the box prior to us.

Mindy and I sat on the old wooden bench by the mailbox reading through the notes, some were personal, some were religious in nature, some were very deep, but most had a common theme of the wonderful memories made at Sunset Beach, and at this unique mailbox.

Mindy and I read to each other and eventually left a note of our own. It was such a one of a kind experience and something I would recommend to everyone that may have the pleasure of visiting Sunset Beach. Who knows, maybe you will see our notes in there-- I plan on going back next year so I can read Mindy's note. (BTW we couldn't get the boys to go, they seemed less interested in reading about other's memories- I don't get it :))

1 comment:

mindy said...

I look forward to reading what I wrote too....I'm sure I said some lovely thing. Wish I could remember what they were...